Sunday, February 24, 2008

February Poems

Since I posted another (long) chapter in my career as a gerontologist last time, I'd like today to share a (short) poem. I get especially inspired in winter. This is one of my favorites. As is often the case, inspired by the NY Botanical Gardens.

A Walk in Frigid February

The woods are wallowing
in wanton whiteness.
All darkness has departed
to a dwelling deep within.

It fills me with a coldness so complete
I cannot feel
I cannot breathe
I cannot hope

The earth is glistening
in raptured repose,
the lustre of lovemaking
aglow on her snowy skin.

New secrets wait to be
revealed in icy silence
resplendent in the celebrating sun.

The river rails in frigid February,
releasing scarlet sparklers
in random revelry,
reflecting starry spirals
in his wailing waters.

It fills me with an awe so incomplete
I cannot feel
I cannot breathe
I cannot know

yet I can hope

A gift of time interrupted
upon a stony bridge.

copyright E. Ramos 2/20/00

2 comments:

teresa_anawim2 said...

There are not too many of us around...those who love the cold and the winter!
I met someone a few weeks ago and we were chuckling over the fact that the 2 of us loved the winter!
And now we have discovered another club member in Inner Elder.
I was born for the South Pole.
I enjoy a walk when the snow has just fallen and the boughs are all decorated..no dirt in the snow from salt and sand ...no foot tracks and pet stains(pardon me).
When I see a fresh snow scene I breathe a prayer of thanks. I wonder how many there are which send God thanks for snow and cold !!

Inner Elder said...

Yes, I love winter and the way you can see right through the trees - I've written many poems about that alone. As for the cold, you can always put another layer on, or walk a bit faster! Thank you for your comments. I have a wonderful prayer that we "snow fans" will appreciate and will post it soon.

Eleanor