Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Proud to be an American

Today I am very proud to be an American. Last night history was made. We elected America’s first African-American president. This is enormous. To me, it is remarkable that so many ignored the “race” issue and voted for the candidate that they thought would do the best job. I am amazed because .…

I remember the 20 year old me in the early 1960’s, full of hope for the civil rights movement. It would be hard but my generation would change the world. So many of my friends were in interracial marriages. My Jamaican friend married a Jewish man and his parents refused to attend their wedding. My Irish-American friend married a Phillipino and both families were dismayed. My Mom and Dad were very accepting of my relationship with my Puerto Rican boyfriend but my grandmother threatened to die if I married him. I did marry him and she didn’t die but learned to love him. My husband and I would discuss our future family – how our children would be enriched by having 2 cultures. And they were!

But in my wildest dreams, as I witnessed the march on Washington, Dr. King’s speech, the eventual breakdown of segregation and movie stereotypes – I never imagined that hearts would be converted to the degree that America would elect a man of color to lead the nation. How wonderful! How extraordinary!

We voted at 6 a.m. yesterday and it was already crowded. For the first time in years I was voting for someone I was excited about and not the lesser of 2 evils. People came out of the voting booth smiling. The demonstrations in Times Square, Harlem, Grant Park and all over the country were inspiring. It was truly one of America’s best moments.

Now our new president faces unprecedented challenges. But what drew me to Obama first and foremost was his calm, intelligent, compassionate vision. His community organizing skills, his willingness to listen to all sides of an issue. His deep desire to bring people together. This is what my friends in the 60’s wished for – “C’mon people now. Smile on your brother. Everybody get together. Try to love one another. Right now.”

We have a marvelous opportunity. To face bleak times together and use all of our talents, gifts and creativity to come up with the answers. To walk a new path. We’ve taken the first step.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We dared to hope…

And hope smiled back.

We shared a moment in history that none of us thought would ever come except in a dream.

We stood together, faces of every color, reaching out with open hands.

We healed a nation wiping away the tears of pain with tears of joy.

We dismissed the fears, the prejudice, the ignorance in favor of the change, the intelligence and the passion.

We dared to dream…

And the dream came true.

Anonymous said...

P.S. And I love Obama for his mixed heritage, just like me, and most Americans. We are children of the earth and all its colorful people.

jugglingpaynes said...

Great entry mom. I am still so moved by the events of last night. I finally feel like there is hope again, to end the war, to help the environment, to bring people together.

Love, T.

Anonymous said...

I never heard that Nanny would die if I married you. Or, if I did , I sure didn't understand a word in that foreign language.
Angelchomic