Sunday, December 14, 2008

December Poems

It's time for the "December" poems. One is from long ago .... must have been a very wet month that year. Or maybe it was my "too much to do" blues talking.

DECEMBER DAYS

D defines DECEMBER,
DISMAL DAYS beyond DESPAIR
DROWNING me in DANKEST DEW.

DRENCHING DREARINESS abounds,
DRIZZLING DARKNESS deep within
my DREAD-full hidden DUNGEON.

WHERE is my S? my SEPTEMBER.
WHERE is my SUN? my SALVATION.

© E.M. Ramos December 23, 1996

I was on jury duty this week. One thing, jury duty gives you lots of time to wait, and to write. So I finished a poem, the first I've written in many months. Enjoy the pre-Christmas frenzy, but take time to slow down and contemplate the reason for the season....

December ‘08

December’s sun burns cold.
It comforts not at all.
Christmas trees snicker at
malls making merry
while wintry Wall Street
winds wail.

Advent’s vigil turns up
the volume, squeezing
the last drop of silence
down the drain.

STOP sprinting and slow down.
LOOK deep within for warmth.
LISTEN for Him born
homeless and poor.

Breathe in the Light of the world,
the ultimate Christmas presence.

© E.M. Ramos October 9, 2008

2 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

Hi Mom,

I like the poems, but I'm confused. You said you just wrote the second one while you were on jury duty, but you have it dated October 9.

I always liked December for some reason! Can't imagine why...

Love T.

Inner Elder said...

Oops! Should have been December 9th.