Saturday, January 3, 2009

Doubt

The first film I've seen this new year is "Doubt". It took me back to the "old Church" days of the fifties, when nuns wore habits and priests faced the altar during Mass. Nice to reminisce and see familiar Bronx scenes. Meryl Streep was the composite of every kid's worst memory of a nun. As usual, she did an outstanding job. In fact, all the acting was superior. And it was a good story - you just don't know: "Did he or didn't he?" It's interesting to observe suspected child abuse by the clergy from our 21st century perspective. Also thought the power conflict between priest and nun was pretty accurately portrayed. I liked this movie and recommend it - especially to us old timers who remember the pre-Vatican II days. It will make you think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oldtimers? Speak for yourself. I am alltimer. it souds great and covers more.

Inner Elder said...

I like that - alltimer.