Thursday, December 31, 2009

Celebrating Dad's 100th Birthday

Monday December 28th would have been my Dad's 100th birthday. My brother Jim had the idea of the five of us - me, Kathy, Jim, John, and Jeff - getting together to celebrate him and share memories at a gala dinner. Some of us started the day by visiting the cemetery and laying a wreath on Mom and Dad's grave. Then Jim and Michelle, John, and Angel and I went to visit the old neighborhood in Ridgewood. Big mistake! The block was dowdy, not the bright sunny street of my memories. The old three story brownstone looked all beat up. The stoop that Nanny had once scrubbed with a brush weekly was gone - replaced by brick steps. The old gate and fence looked frail and sad. The entryway was unwelcoming. I peeked into the hall from the vestibule, at the stairs to Nanny's apartment, my once upon a time safe haven. They looked naked and empty, devoid of the anticipation and love that filled little Eleanor as she climbed them so often to the peaceful grandparent nest. Maybe the worst was the cascade of cable wires hanging down the outside of the building, along with all the garbage bags in the gate. Even the little bush was gone. Overall we all felt it was depressing. I guess you can't go home again.

Happily, our celebration at Koenigs was just that - happy, relaxed and enjoyable. In a private room with Christmas decorations and a fireplace, we traded memories,enjoyed good food and celebrated Dad. The five of us were seated up front of the two tables of family. I am proud that my sister and brothers love and respect each other and keep in touch. In the days and weeks to come, I will post my memories of my Dad.

3 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

Home isn't so much a physical place as it is a memory of love. Even your house and neighborhood has changed so much since I grew up there. It doesn't have the same "feel" as when I was young. Your "homecoming" wasn't at the brownstone, but in the memories you shared with your brothers and sister.

Love, T.

Inner Elder said...

Thank you for you wisdom. You are right - "home" will remain forever in my heart. Mom

Anonymous said...

Eleanor,
Thanks for sharing the family's celebration of your father's 100th birthday. I always remember Uncle John fondly......to me he was larger than life. He was a bear of a man, at least to me as a young child. I can still hear him cheering the Yankees on, as he watch the game downstairs in his chair while I was upstairs in Nannie's house. I have so many great Linden Street memories!!
Your cousin,
Jan