Thursday, June 17, 2010

Spring Challenges

It’s been a challenging Spring for me. Busy with happy things: my granddaughter Sierra’s First Communion and grandson Chase’s Confirmation in May. Plus all the May birthdays: Sierra - 8; Marina - 17; and Chase - 14 years old! A big party on May 1st to celebrate all of the above plus my husband’s 70th birthday.

And then I was struck by a persistent cough, tickling in the throat, and hoarseness. Went to the doctor several times but it would not go away. They attribute it to the terrible pollen season we’ve been having but I - true to my nature - began to worry. In the meantime my back went out and I pulled a groin muscle (like A-rod!). I had to get a cane and I could not do my usual hour walk each day; in fact, I could hardly walk at all. This was awful since walking is my main exercise and helps me work off stress.

I became so frightened and my imagination was working overtime. Thankfully, I trust my doctors and they were very reassuring. In fact, everyone was being so nice to me. My friends were concerned and full of stories and helpful hints. Angel was wonderful, doing all the housework and shepherding me around.

I learned a powerful lesson from all of this. My independence, which I value so, is fragile - as it is for all of us. Learning to lean on others, to accept their help is difficult. Through all of this challenging Spring, one thing pulled me through. Prayer. I do remember to pray and even when I pray in darkness, without much hope, the answers come. In the form of doctors, friends, loved ones. A lesson I needed to learn indeed.

3 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

Now you know how I've felt all my life!
Actually, it isn't a bad thing to learn early to ask for help. I don't wait as long as someone who has always been healthy and I feel I have a better sense of what is going on in my body than someone who has taken their health for granted.

And when friends and family want to help you, it's another way for them to express their love and appreciation for you.

Love, T.

Anonymous said...

Continue to be at the center of your own storm where everything is cool, calm and colleced.
Love you,
Angel

Inner Elder said...

TINA, your comment moved me to tears. You are living proof that wisdom does not necessarily need a lot of years. So proud of you. Love, Mom

ANGEL, I love your image - I will use it. Thank you for being you. Love, El