Thursday, July 22, 2010

Forever Friends

Last week my friends journeyed all the way to the Bronx to be with me. We got a wheel chair and they pushed me around the Botanical Gardens. Later that week, as I sat in the Gardens, I realized that I hadn't written a poem for awhile. I searched for "inspiration" and it came. After some tweaking and evolving, here it is.

Forever Friends

I have friends of every persuasion.

Two legged friends who wheel me about
when my heart's at low tide.

Green limbed friends that drape my
deep down dread
in shimmering stillness.

Anonymous friends who open new doors
when windows slam shut.

Furry friends testing true,
even though I yell
Get off the table!

Unseen friends whispering from beyond
when menacing mists swallow hope.

And I bow to the care of my friends.

Copyright: E.M. Ramos 7/21/10


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lately, I watch you go up and down the stairs and I dont race to beat you. I know you don't like me on the table, but that's the closest I can get tot he big fan. My fuss makes me hot. Sorry. You are the only voice I recognize as my master, even if I don't always respond as a servant should. In spite of everything, I purr for you from my heart. Love, Scribble

I also would give you a massage if I could feel safe in your lap. For now, I just sit still on the arm of your chair and keep an eye on you. Ilove you too, Shady

jugglingpaynes said...

Hahaha! I love what Scribble and Shady wrote!

Your poem is great mom. You do have a lot of friends.

Love, T.

Anonymous said...

Hoping & praying for your speedy recovery. Looking forward to seeing you again in the Fall.--Doreen & Jean