Friday, November 26, 2010

Black Friday Blues

Black Friday Blues

Today has been dubbed “Black Friday”. It is dedicated to rampant consumerism and blatant materialism. It is hard to resist, especially this year with the intense media push and aggressive advertisements with tempting mouth-watering savings via newspapers, mail, TV, radio and e-mail. Many stores were even open on Thanksgiving. An American spiritual tradition - giving thanks to God for all the blessings we enjoy - is now converted into the new American faith in STUFF, buying with every last drop of money you have and then with the money you don’t have. Fill your life with STUFF. I think we the consumers are the new Thanksgiving turkeys and we are being stuffed. Saying this I must confess. If I wasn’t terrified of crowds I would probably be out there shopping for bargains instead of doing this blog. What do you think?

6 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

That's Grandma in you! But Grandma could find bargains without having a special day set aside for it. :o)

I refuse to go to stores on Black Friday. There is nothing I want so much I need to wake up in the middle of the night to get it. I've been pretty lucky to be blessed with plenty. I'm grateful for all I have, and so it is enough.

Love, T.

Anonymous said...

I agree. For the last few years, I don't go any where on Black Friday - even the grocery stores are more crowded! This year I took out more books from the library so that I can just stay in and read. Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you hip is healed now and you can resume your walks. Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi El.

Enjoyed you comments on Black Friday and the American way of over- consumption. Our society feels we never have enough and that getting more things will make us happier.

I stay home on Black Friday. Can't fight the traffic and the shopping mall mayhem.

Happy weekend!

Love,
Jan

Anonymous said...

I just realized I've never seen a black friday in all my black nights
and that's a wonderful feeling. See black any day any time when you want. That's a much simpler way of life.
Love, Angel

Kathy & Rich said...

I totally agree with you - and I love your analogy of the stuffed turkey.

Anonymous said...

I like offering service instead of material gifts for Christmas. Offering to clean the basement, do yard work, or dearly needed errands is a true need. To me, this sums up the meaning of Christmas -- giving of yourself -- and it is infinitely less expensive! So...Black Fiday?...what's that? Honestly it sounds like a stock market term with no connection to Christ!

Thanks Eleanor for offering a space for me to air my thoughts!
Louise :)