Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remembering 9/11/2001: The Poems

I share with you today three poems I wrote about this day in the months that followed.


Advent 2001

Autumn lingers in dryness this year,
no gusty tears to wrench her last leaves free.

Trees stand like stalwart sentinels
in brilliant defiance
of the terror wracked thoughts
that stalk writhing spirits
since fall began,
and towers fell
one sad September morn
not long ago.

In oneness we await
Winter’s wise and wondrous advent.
Will she fill drought stricken hearts
with her snowy waters?
Will she fill aching black holes
With her holy hope?

Copyright E. Ramos 11/23/01



AFTERMATH

Death rains all around me
like ancient fire arrows
from out the friendly blue
skies.

When will the one that bears
my name find its mark
and pierce my trembling
breast?

A thousand yesterdays ago –
I think it was last month
I basked in freedom’s
Innocence

I strolled in never-ever land
while cauldrons roiled
within.

Life reigns all about me
like a regal glow
that heals the aching hole
in my heart.

Each sunrise warns of sweet risk
a chance to walk again
to breathe in the sacred
now

To greet each alien face
with new faith
to meet the mirrored me
with a smile.

Copyright E. Ramos 10/01; 6/02



ODE TO SEPTEMBER

for Lisa & Me

There are shadows in the rainbow
Did you notice?
You can hear the heavy silence.
It whispers to you
of what was.

Come rain, wash away
the guilty tears
of summer with
drenching drippling.

September has returned
Fair daughter of Virgo
Who dares to rip out her radiance
from your grieving heart?

Her softest breath caresses
wounded memories
that wrinkle
the still surface
of your soul.

Her bountiful blue
and sultry perfume
shout to you
of what is.

Copyright E. Ramos 9/7/2002

1 comment:

jugglingpaynes said...

I love them. You never shared these with me!

Love, T.