Sunday, November 4, 2007

Fall's Farewell

The leaves are taking a long time to turn this year. Last weekend we hiked in Bear Mountain; it was peak. This weekend - all at once - the colors have come to the city trees. My trek through the Botanical Gardens forest yesterday, under a "Noel" gray sky, was awesome. And so it seems that most of my Autumn poems were born in November.

FALL’S FAREWELL


Autumn lingers a bit longer this year,
Tempting me to taste her fiery fruits.

Leaves let go and flutter like confetti,
Embracing me within their whirling waltz.

But I’ve no room to swallow autumn’s music,
No time to feast upon her pungent poems.

I plod along my way with leaden footstep,
My binging heart too gorged to find its home.

Soon darkness slowly steals across the journey,
Extending over me his hovering hand.

Such comfort, so much safer than fiesta,
I hide within his grasp awaiting dawn.

E. M. Ramos 11/14; 12/13/2000

1 comment:

jugglingpaynes said...

I like "Leave let go and flutter like confetti." I love watching the leaves fall.
I sense a lot of sadness in your autumn poems, mom. Is this intentional?
Love, T