Friday, April 18, 2008

The Pope Comes to America

Some random thoughts on Pope Benedict's visit.

I am so glad the Pope is addressing the sex abuse scandal in the church. Especially his meeting with the victims yesterday. To say he was "ashamed" implied responsibility and is a start toward healing.

I will not be attending any of the Masses or events in New York. However I can remember visits of two other popes.

In 1965, we attended the Mass at Yankee Stadium when Pope Paul VI visited. My son was a baby and it was the first time I left him. Very difficult since I was nursing and spent all day with a breast pump. All turned out well and I still remember my excitement as the Pope motored around the field to the cries of "Viva Papa!"

In 1995, my son was living a half block from Central Park. My daughter and I stayed overnight and all three of us rose bright and early to attend the Mass in Central Park with John Paul II. It was gray and rainy and my son had a terrible cold. But once again, it was worth it. I remember the intensity of John Paul's presence, a sense of deep spirituality that even my non-Catholic friends noticed. I remember his wonderful sense of humor. He won me over that day!

And I think I know Pope Benedict in a new way, thanks to this visit. He seems warmer and gentler than he appeared to be as Cardinal Ratzinger. I love his smile. How amazed my German-American grandmother would be that we have a German pope!

2 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

It helps to meet them and hear them in person, I think. Anything filtered through network news loses its luster, don't you think?

Love, T.

Maryellen said...

The Pope's visit has done so much good for renewal in the U.S. I saw the visit with the Jewish community on a neighbor's EWTN and it was heart-warming. His heart beats with so much LOVE for mankind and I could see the gentleness and Holiness in him.

Yes, I love his smile. It captivated me when he first stepped up on the veranda when he was announced as Pope Benedict.

How wonderful that you got to attend Pope Paul VI's visit in 1965
and John Paul II in 1995. That year he came to Des Moines, IA only 2 hours away from us. We planned to go but 3 of us came down with a nasty case of the Flu!