Sunday, April 13, 2008

Welcome Spring!

Just returned from a short visit with my daughter and her family in California. What bouncy, strong boys my 2 and 4 year old grandsons are!

Now to celebrate Spring, which returned to New York while I was gone. A poem from the past.

April’s Showers

I love the garden when it’s wet,
the trees streaked dark with sweat,
when all the woods are blurred with tears
that cling to sprouting sprigs.

The river blinks but does not pause
along its steadfast course,
while I in stirring stillness sit
beside its muddied shores.

The birds cry out in joyous song
to wake my sleeping ears.
Then all creation holds me light
and lifts me to my feet.

© E. M. Ramos 4/12/2001

5 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

Oh, I like that one! I don't think you showed it to me before.

Love, T.

Maryellen said...

Welcome back home, and to Springtime in New York.

Enjoy the April showers. We still need rain here in TN since last year's drought was so severe.

I enjoy the longer daylight hours. That improves my mood considerably.

Inner Elder said...

To T. - Thanks for the support - maybe I'll read it at the poetry night. Love, Mom

To Maryellen - I agree about the light, I love the long days too. Hope you were not jarred by the earthquake today. Eleanor

Anonymous said...

I was so surprised that the earthquake was truly felt in Middle Tennessee. It woke me up from a sound sleep about 4 a.m. I purposely looked at the clock to help me remember to talk about the incident with Clinton when he got up in the morning.

It wasn't much of a jolt so I wasn't sure if maybe I just dreamed it. When I heard it on the news, I knew for sure it was real. I was in two earthquakes in CA years ago.

Are you going to get to see Pope B_16?

Anonymous said...

What a lovely poem! I love the garden when it's wet too, the way it looks and smells, and the way the woods smell after it rains.