Friday, February 20, 2009

My Trip to Italy - Day 1

My Trip to Italy

This blog starts with an ending. Marina and I returned home from Italy yesterday. And what a wonderful experience it was. Starting today my blogs for the next week or so will be all about our trip, as taken from my journal.

Feb. 11th Well here I am in Rome. With Marina. After hectic packing and re-packing we got to JFK in plenty of time. Sister Pat introduced Marina to Charlene and Maria; they hit it off immediately, chatting and giggling. The CHS girls are so curious about Marina’s being homeschooled.

It was a nice flight via Alitalia although no room for feet or to rest your head – so I got no sleep. Arrived very tired but we were off on a tour of Rome right away. Crazy weather: sun, clouds, rain, hail – like a cold April. Noticed how the cars are so much smaller here. (Those Smart cars are so cute!) Beautiful piazzas and ancient buildings where people live in apartments. Our walking tour included: Piazza Navona with Bernini’s spectacular fountains, the Fontana del Moro and the Fontana dei Quatro Fiumi (Fountain of the Four Rivers). You can check out my daughters blog (see sidebar) for pictures. I loved the church of St. Agnes in this square with its fantastic artwork and decorated ceiling.

Margaret, our tour guide, is so good, leading us through back alleys and clueing us in on bargains and practical advice. Visited the Pantheon and this is just awesome. A 2000 year old structure, completed by the Emperor Hadrian in A.D. 128, it is in great shape and simply breathtaking. It has the largest domed ceiling, larger than St. Peter’s and is a masterpiece of Roman engineering. I liked the opening hole in the center of the dome that lets in light.

Visited the Spanish Steps and thought of my last trip here with my friend Arleen back in 1992. I even went back to one of our old haunts – McDonalds, with a classic Roman motif. Still the only free toilet around! Memorable moments of our first day: Lunch guy giving us a “break” and a gelato; the girls taking pictures with the local carbonieri (state police); the obelisk and Trevi Fountain. All the sculptures are so gorgeous…and huge. My impression of Rome: ancient, beautiful and huge!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eleanor - I'm happy you both made it back and had an enjoyable but tiring trip. I'm sorry to hear that you feel on the stairs while doing your laundry - hope you weren't seriously injured. Take care and keep writing your blog!
Linda