Sunday, August 12, 2007

Creating Poetry

I see my poetry as a gift. Not only whatever skill or talent I may have, but each inspiration, each poem is a gift. Like certain music or artistic expression, poetry comes from a deep place within. It is the most intimate form of literature.

As I have noted before, most of my inspiration comes from nature, usually when I am walking. Which means I start memorizing the lines to myself until I can sit and write them down, although I have tried writing and walking at the same time. The poem I posted today "A Summer Afternoon" came to me one glorious day last month, while walking in the New York Botanical Garden. It was a top ten day - blue sky with wispy clouds which reminded me of the angel hair we used to put on the Christmas tree. Then I glanced up and saw in one of the streaky clouds all the colors of the rainbow, not a real shaped rainbow, but a patch of rainbow! I couldn't believe my eyes and began to ask strangers if they saw what I saw. "Get my camera" shouted one man. He saw it. And then, just as suddenly, it was gone. But I was inspired and a poem came. And now that I read that poem over, I see that it is a poem that expresses the deep gratitude I felt for all of God's creation, especially for that beautiful day.

My next step in writing is fun to me. I like my poems to have "beats", rhythm. I think it comes from my Math background. Or maybe my obsessive compulsive nature. And whether I like it or not, alliteration forces its way into my poetry. One of my favorite poets is Gerard Manley Hopkins, so that may explain it. Usually the words feel "right" somehow; but if not, there's always my trusty Thesaurus. Poetry, for me, is like painting with words.

To see my latest poem (which could be a work in progress), read on.

2 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

Nice Mom.
I've been thinking a lot about creative moments. In particular, those moments when I feel creatively possessed until I finish, and then stare at my work in wonder. I can't believe it came out of me.
Ooo...I'll have to turn this into a post.
Love,
T

Anonymous said...

How very interesting that you need your poems to - "...have "beats", rhythm. I think it comes from my Math background...".
I'm a very ordered person, I love structure. But my poetry...now that is something different. The words flow like an unhurried conversation during a Scottish highland walk...and afterwards I am aware that it was not 'em', but a Divine hand guiding my thoughts and expressing them in the scrawls on a page.
How very unique we all are in God's Creation! I enjoy your poetry very much - the insight it gives into the nature of another human being is a gift.
Jenny in Australia