Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Philosophy of Aging: Part 2

Today I will finish quoting from my "ancient" paper on my philosophy of aging.

Working with Older Adults. When I graduated from college with a degree in Mathematics, I went to work for the Social Security Administration. I wanted to help people, especially older people, because they let you help them, they were so appreciative. Unfortunately, the federal government bureaucracy cramped my style (even way back then!) and choked my creativity in endless rules, regulations and red tape.

My next venture into the field of aging was as a community organizer with the Community Action Program. Here I learned a good deal about the diverse nature of elderly people and about “helping” people. They were still appreciative but they taught me that they wanted to help themselves. (Boy! Do I ever understand that now that I am “elderly” myself.) But I was needed to educate them and to show them how to mobilize against the establishment. I felt alive and young being with them. Maybe it was the contrast in our ages, but maybe it was their own “youth”, too, that made me feel that way.

Now (1981) I am back in the field of aging after eight years working with young people. The diversity of the elderly is even more apparent now that I have a formal education in gerontology. I see that not all elderly are poor and dependent, not all are disease-ridden and limited, not all are unattractive, not all are appreciative and understanding, as I once thought. I see the real differences and I rejoice in the discovery that aging is an individual experience, unique to each person. I think that I respect older people more now and that my philosophy of aging is less patronizing than it once was.

Impact of M.S. Degree in Gerontology. My studies at the College of New Rochelle have had a definite effect on my philosophy of aging as noted above. In addition to a greater understanding of the biology, psychology and sociology of aging, I have altered my views on a number of issues. My research into Social Security financing confirmed earlier views on retirement and the need – social as well as personal – for people to continue to be active past the age of 65. But the research also made me aware of the seriousness of the financing of entitlement programs and the need for careful consideration of the consequences of demographic shifts and inflation on future generations. Thus, while I am always an advocate of elderly causes, I must face the reality of a Politics of Scarcity and a dependency ratio.

I think my greatest moment of truth came during the Human Relations course with J. W. We were having a psycho-drama on aging. Suddenly I was aware that all of my fellow students of gerontology were interpreting successful aging in terms of how “young” one was for his age. Those most guilty were the two oldest members of the class. “What is wrong with being old?”, I asked. Why can’t we have an “old is beautiful” campaign? Why, indeed!

America’s orientation is on youth, alas! “Youth is in”, but not for long, as all of us find out sooner or later. Perhaps, as the old begin to outnumber the young in the next century and as medical science reduces the physical limitations of aging and conquers diseases of old age, age will be where it’s at. I hope so!

Forward to 2008. Looking back at this 1981 paper, it is interesting to note how my own aging has not changed my 40 year old views all that much. But I observed how my concerns about financing crises in entitlement programs have continued to become more and more critical over the years - during good as well as bad economic times. One thing is certain – the predicted aging of our society is now understood by all. Next time I will talk about my “practical” life as a professional in the field of aging.

4 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

I don't know if it matters if medical science "reduces the physical limitations of aging and conquers diseases of old age". There will always be people who age gracefully in spite of their limitations and those who decline rapidly in spite of their health. I like the yoga philosophy of honoring the abilities and limitations of your body. Many people don't accept who they are, so they get antsy when they notice that the clock is ticking.
Am I rambling? :o)
Love, T.

teresa_anawim2 said...

.....active past the age of 65!
After I retired I found that I n=missed the active life I had wich required me to go up and down 3 flights of stairs several times a day....every hour or half hour!
My body missed it, so I joined Curves a month ago. I was surprised to find that there were gals there who were working the machines who were way older than I am!
They are not all made up and decked out in spandex, but they are active
Outside of the gym I can name several who are in their 70's and 80's who are more energetic than I am. We ARE a youth oriented society, but the seniors are saying "hey , we're living longer, why not maintain what we have so we can enjoy that time"
Another good post. I look forward to the next .

Maryellen said...

Another great post, Eleanor. You're doing an excellent job on this subject.

So many elders say to me "It's no fun growing old" I like your take better "Age is beautiful". There are many more opportunities for Spiritual Growth. We may not look so great on the outside, but God is growing us in the Inner man

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

You have the most beautiful heart, totally reflected in your words.

I am passing on the Excellent Blog Award to you! Please see my blog for details.

Jenny in Australia