Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Winter Poems

To celebrate this balmy January day, I will share one of my favorite winter poems.

A Walk in the Warm Winter Wood

Springtime in January
feels like an old friend
clasping me in her arms.

Shivering stillness drapes me
in velvety pine while
silver tongued twigs
beckon in the moonlit sun.

River paths come alive
with gray radiance,
bursting to spew secrets
I'm not yet ready to receive.

Not in January.
Not in winter.
Not yet.
Let's wait awhile longer.
Just be still.

Too soon the sun grows cold,
chilling me to my feet.

As I hurry away
stillness slips gently
from my shoulders
like a lost scarf.

copyright E. Ramos 1/11/2000

2 comments:

Maryellen said...

Lovely.

teresa_anawim2 said...

First time visitor here!
I found a link on Granma's Musings and am thrilled to find another blog by an older blogger!