Sunday, January 6, 2008

One More Thank You Blog

I see that 2008 will be another rush rush year. Never got to do my series on gratitude. But I will take time today to publicly thank the Lord for my three children and six grandchildren. I am very blessed indeed.

Our three children are very close in age, only three years separate my son and my youngest daughter. We didn't plan it that way, yet I am convinced that it worked out great. I waited till they were in school to start my career track, getting my Masters in Gerontology at age 40 and going on from there. I don't know how mothers do it today, balancing career and family. Or having their career first and then starting a family. Raising 3 toddlers in my twenties was exhausting for me, in fact those years are a blur!

My son and two daughters were intelligent, talented, beautiful kids, who went to the best schools and who grew up to be good people, with strong values, social consciences and a love of nature. Those of you who visit my youngest daughter's blog know all about her artistic and literary achievements. My son is also talented in art and writing. And my daughter in California is a gifted photographer and poet.

Our children are all married and have given us six fabulous grandkids. Four of them live close by so we get to see each other often. Our two youngest grandsons from California just spent a few weeks visiting. All six are intelligent, gorgeous kids, with unique talents, who show great promise. When I learn how to post pictures, you will see that I'm not kidding.

Yes I am one grateful Grandma, as the year 2008 gets going. Now I'm off to indulge in my favorite sport: walking - in my favorite place, the Bronx Botanical Garden. And am I ever thankful for that piece of Paradise in my own backyard!

4 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

Oh Mom!
I'll show you how to post pictures! Remind me when I see you!

Love, T.

Maryellen said...

Ohhh! You're a Gerontologist. Now I understand what you mean in your profile "....long career in the field of aging.

That's not a common field at all. I'd like to know more about it. We're all headed for old age (I'm already there!) and we need to know more about what to expect about aging. I was going to attempt a post based on what I read on Mayo Clinic about aging. But I'd love to hear your perspective.

Since that was your field, there should be no surprises for you. I'd love to sit and have a long chat with you. That's awesome that you got your Masters at age 40.

I hope you'll post about the Gerontology field. What did you do when you went to work every day? Did you work in a facility with the elderly? More, more.

Inner Elder said...

I am pleasantly surprised that you are interested in my Gerontology career, which I am still practicing. I promise to do some blogs on what professionals in the field of aging do, since it is a fascinating career and we need new recruits.

For today, I will just say that specializing in aging services and becoming old yourself are two very different challenges!

Eleanor

Maryellen said...

Thanks Eleanor,

You wrote: "I promise to do some blogs on what professionals in the field of aging do, since it is a fascinating career and we need new recruits."

I'll look forward to those posts.
Are there some gerontologists who counsel the elderly? Maybe you could use your blog to encourage others to enter the field. With all those baby boomers out there, I would think it would be a rewarding career