Sunday, June 1, 2008

A spring poem

To celebrate my daughter's honorable mention in a recent town poetry contest, I am sharing one of my oldest poems. I'll try to get her to post her winning poem, which is really a treat.

Boulder on the Hill

I am part of the earth.

I am bound to the ground,
longing to leap alive
into the blaring blue.

Crust warm and worn
stippled and stained
insulted, ignored
decaying, defiled

Youth passes me by
flying free, singing Spring!
All a-spin in the whirlwind.

While I lie alone
so old
so hard
so forgotten

I am one with the earth

I hold the light of 10,000 suns.
I hold the tears of 10,000 storms.

Crust soft, astir
teeming with life
buzzing with wisdom
glittering with grace

Youth stops to savor my story,
transformed by my treasure
for all ages.

While I watch and wait
so ancient

so loved
so timeless
copyright E.M. Ramos 5/30/96

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this poem. I can actually see this boulder just by reading your words. You should enter it in a contest. Take care. Love, Linda Payne