Sunday, July 15, 2007

August First

Many of my poems are inspired by nature. The one I am sharing today came to me during one of my daily walks in Central Park, New York City. And it's another of my "summer" poems from the year 2000.

August First

The worms are drowning
in the earth
and creep up on the path to die
where I
step softly, striving not
to crush them underfoot.

The heron swerves and
dives across
the tranquil skin of Turtle Pond,
dipping in and out
of fertile waters
while I
pause to hear
an unfamiliar cry
buried deep within
the leafy overgrowth.

Who is this new bird
that teases my heart
on a mysty August
morn?
Copyright Eleanor M. Ramos 08/01/2000

1 comment:

Paula Vince said...

Hi,
I'm really pleased to meet you. My name is Paula and I live in Australia. I'm one of Cristina's blogging friends and now I see where your daughter gets her creativity. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on nature and your beautiful poems. I'm looking forward to reading more from a grandmother's perspective.
By the way, I'd love to visit America and particularly New York. What a magical place it must be.
Warm regards,
Paula