Thursday, July 26, 2007

Walking in the Dark

I am so grateful to those of you who have commented on my poems, either on my blog, by e-mail or by phone. So your reward is - more of my poems!

Today's poem is another "summer" poem, and one of my favorites from the year 2000. I like to write in seasons, but this poem is about growing older and the journey, as much as it is about summer.

Walking in the Dark

I notice that July slips by
more quickly that her
sister months,
as if the warmth of summer
cannot hold its breath
for long.

The long lit eves I looked to
with such longing all the
year
begin to dim as darkness
reassumes his righteous
reign.

The verdant fields once youthful
with blooms of ev'ry hue and
grace
take on an aging pallor,
reflecting my own graying
face.

Ah, days of light!
So short and sweet
with promise and deceit,
make way for long, dark nights
that strip dreams
to the bone
and thrust us on the way
in earnest.
Copyright E.M. Ramos 7/24/2000


3 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

Beautiful, Mom. I don't know if I saw this one before.

Love You

Paula Vince said...

Thanks for sharing your poems. I love reading poetry and often thought I'd like to write some, but I've stuck to prose and fiction. I imagine that finding the exact word to express what you want to may must be even more of a challenge when you write poetry.
Have a lovely weekend,
Paula

jugglingpaynes said...

Hi Mom,
What if you pick one day a week where you write an entry? Just to get yourself into the habit.
There is a group bloggers that do something called Poetry Fridays. I'll see if I can get you some info on that.

Love,
T