Thursday, July 12, 2007

Longwood Gardens

I love exploring nature, wherever I find myself. Last weekend my husband, Angel and I visited Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, PA with my sister and brother-in-law, Kathy and Rich. We met our cousin Janice there. Longwood features scrumptious, colorful gardens, most with fountains. There are wooded paths, meadows, waterfalls and a medieval Bell Tower. (Rapunzel! Rapunzel!) The conservatories are breathtaking. For anyone who appreciates art and nature, it is worth the trip - longwoodgardens.org.

My favorite garden is the Italian Water Garden; it has a European feel, dozens of dancing fountains and water cascading down a staircase. I especially love the earthen jars that seemingly breathe water out and over their outer skins, almost like their innermost being was melting outwards. Maybe it's a good analogy of letting God's love for us work out of us towards others. Anyway, it felt great sharing Longwood, especially with first time visitors, Angel and Rich. I like being alone in nature but there is something to be said for being in a beautiful place with others - loved ones, friends, even strangers. You always get a new perspective through another pair of eyes.

And so it was a peaceful, happy trip, despite the encroaching heat wave. We enjoyed a delicious meal at Longwood's fine dining restaurant. My grandson Chase and I agree that eating out is always part of the experience! To close out the luckiest day of the century (07/07/07), we saw the fountain show, complete with colored lights and classical music.

It gives me hope when the extremely rich, in this case Pierre Dupont, use their wealth to conserve a place of natural beauty, create a setting for artistic expression and then share it with the rest of us considerably less affluent folk.

4 comments:

Kathy & Rich said...

Another beautiful place to visit and enjoy nature donated to the public by the rich & famous is Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor, Maine. I hope that Mother Earth does not run out of these great places...

Lisoak said...

Way to go Momma!
I am so happy that you are always trying new things and revisiting old things, the way of life. Keep on bloggin'.
luv,lis

TobyBo said...

stopping by to say hi and welcome to the world of blogging. Longwood Gardens is indeed a scrumptious place. :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Longwood Gardens!!! Haven't been there for 35 years but the memories are still so fresh! My mother took my sister and I to see Swan Lake there.

Thanks for the web address. I'll go visit there via cyber space.

Nice meeting you!
Vicki