Thursday, July 5, 2007

Transitions

Since retiring from my job of 25 years last year, I have been in “transition”, a time of change, darkness and new possibilities. Last week I made a retreat "Embracing Life’s Transitions: God’s Call to Transformation". I remembered other times of transition and how they had shaped me into what I am today. In particular there was the time that the department I headed was dissolved and absorbed into another, without an identity or mission. It was hard. I saw it as a personal failure and felt angry, confused and humiliated. Yet in this painful place I was to be befriended by Sister P., who helped me re-structure our work into Ministry to Seniors, a more effective program that trained hundreds of parish volunteers who reached out to hundreds more homebound persons over the next 15 years. Even more, Sister P. convinced me that one need not be a religious to be called to the spiritual life. And so began an awesome inner journey: retreats, journalling, bio-spiritual focusing – a totally new perspective on how I viewed God and my faith. Such growth!

Transitions are like being in a cocoon, a time of darkness and turmoil, a time for waiting. I am not a patient person so it is very difficult to sit still and wait. But recalling past experiences gives me hope that some day soon I will emerge again into some exciting new form, just like a butterfly. This blog could be the start. 7/5/07

1 comment:

Maryellen said...

Hello, El.
Your daughter, Tina, left a comment on my blog and suggested that you and I should become acquainted since we are both Grandma's.

When I visit a blog where I haven't been before, I like to go to the first entries where the blogger usually tells why and how they got started.

I decided to post my comment in this Transitions post because of your friend Sister P. She did you a great favor by introducing you to the Inner Spiritual Journey. That journey is the focus of my life. At the age of 79, I've gone through many transitions, and I love your description of being in a cocoon. It's a perfect metaphor.